Re: Bad employment situation advice needed

Subject: Re: Bad employment situation advice needed
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:40:18 -0700

Hey :D

Bad: You're on the hook for the relocation reimbursement. I was when I
left a company before my first year with them ended, yet managed to pay
the employer back with a little help from my friends (I left because I
was trying to save my marriage of 18 months at the time. Even managed
to do *that* right.).

Good: Most companies are reasonable about getting repaid. I bet your
company is reasonable. Maybe you can get the new company to pick up the
tab for the reimbursement. You know best what the answer is on that
issue. Read your employment agreement again for details on
reimbursement. The policy is probably in the agreement.

Either way, start saving your "farewell" money while you're looking
around for a better contract where you actually get to work with sane
people. :D Go through all your receipts and expenses and figure out how
much money you need to throw at these bozos so that they'll give you a
good reference when you decide to sing "Take This Job and Shove It" your
way. :D

Fair trade is not robbery. Neither is paying somebody back, no matter
how much you hate the jerk. And from this point on, always keep some
money in the new "farewell" savings account you're going to open today.
:D

Now go out and work on your tan. And don't forget the sunblock and the
Kool-Aid; you'll need 'em both. :D

George

[George Mena] snip

> The problem with quitting is that because I was relocated for the
> position,
> I?m liable to reimburse this employer for relocation costs since I
> signed
> an agreement to that effect. The agreement expires in a few months,
> and I
> suppose I could hang on, but I?m sick of being miserable here and I
> may
> have the opportunity to accept an offer from a quality organization
> with
> better pay and benefits shortly.
>
> Can anyone advise me on the enforceability of the relocation
> reimbursement
> agreement, how likely it is they will hold me to it, or how I can get
> out
> of it given the ridiculous circumstances? Is there a way to broach the
> subject without giving away my plans? I?m tempted to quit without
> giving
> notice since I?m quite sure they will screw me out of two weeks? pay,
> in
> accord with HR policies regarding resignation by relocated
> individuals.
>
> I?d be interested in hearing about what you would do in this
> situation.
> Needless to say I?ve learned a lot from this experience about how to
> interview a company before accepting an offer. Thanks for your advice.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=