Re: Click Start, then....

Subject: Re: Click Start, then....
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:29:07 -0700

We use this construction:
To set up security
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to CoSession Remote 32, point
to Utilities, and then click Administer Security.
2. In the Administer Security dialog box, click the <whatever>
options.

In this case, I find this structure hard to follow. Anything longer than
three instructions, regardless of how related they are, is too hard for
me to follow. I would probably divide it up instead. Something like
this.
To set up security
1. Click Start, and then point to Programs.
2. Point to CoSession Remote 32, point to Utilities, and then click
Administer Security.
3. In the Administer Security dialog box, click the <whatever>
options.

Even though the second instance has more steps, it seems clearer.

In any case, we do not use the construction "Click on" in any of our
procedures, and we typically follow the Microsoft Style "From the File
menu, choose New."
C. Lynn Perry
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
Opinions expressed are mine alone
Wall Data Incorporated, Seattle WA
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=