Re: art as role in tech writing

Subject: Re: art as role in tech writing
From: Melonie Holliman <LonieH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:51:58 EDT

Howdy,

One of the greatest options we have in our profession is whether or not
to specialize. Some people like to be very good in one area while others
(like me) like to know a bit about a lot of different areas. I think it
depends
on what you want to do. Because I have added design, graphics, and
marketing writing to my experience, I am now more marketable to the
general public. If an experienced writer is interested in an expert in--say--
hardware writing, they will probably pass me up. On the other hand, most
recruiters love to see my varied background.

I am just now going back to contracting. My past experience as a graphics
artist will probably not get me a tech writing job; however, people who don't
really understand technical writing are easily impressed by the long list of
programs I have on my resume. It helps me get the job; then I can try to
educate people on the importance of writing ability verses software expertise.

Also, my past design experience does come into play. I was just called
about a job designing a template for on-line help. Having that design
experience increased my chance of getting that contract.

Having design experience is definitely not required in being a tech writer;
yet every skill we add makes us more marketable when looking for a job.
If you like staying employed for long periods of time in one place which does
not require these skill, it probably never will come into question. However,
when I look for a job, I love having such a wide variety of skills--it gets me
noticed.

Melonie Holliman
mailto: LonieH -at- aol -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=