Re: Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Tech Writers
From: Melonie Holliman <LonieH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:58:16 EDT

Howdy,

I hear they have schools for tech writers these days. Most of those
schools have not been around long and, I think, the majority of us
learned from EXPERIENCE. Experience is a great teacher with one
bad tendency--we tend to have holes in our learning. If I have not done
it before, chances are I don't know much about it. So, even being an
experienced writer, I still find simple problems which are new to me.
Those of you who have experience with that same problem can lead
me in the right direction quickly and easily.

I think the only questions on the list I would rather not see are those
which crop up again and again and are easily found in the archives.
Of course, some people do not have access to the archives.

Otherwise, if you have a question on Technical Communication, please
ask it. It did wonders for my confidence and my career when I found this
resource. Sharing experience is one of the absolute best ways to better
ourselves. I was a newbie once and I really appreciate the time and
effort so many of you have taken to answer my "silly" questions.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Melonie Holliman
mailto: LonieH -at- aol -dot- com

In a message dated 8/7/98 9:08:20 AM Central Daylight Time, Stan -dot- Green -at- AAI-
US.COM writes:

<< I am a technical communicator and have been a subscriber for only four
days to the technical writer list server. I hope STC is also a
subscriber so that they could see what is happening to the Technical
Communication profession. I am bewildered by some of the questions
purportedly by technical communicators asking, do you place an a or an
before LED, how do you gather material, the difference between a leaflet
and a small manual, how to write procedural steps and on and on. I now
can see why certification by STC would be beneficial to our profession.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=