HR versus Tech writing WAS: RE: Tasks versus Job Descriptions. W as: Certification vs Help fr om our members

Subject: HR versus Tech writing WAS: RE: Tasks versus Job Descriptions. W as: Certification vs Help fr om our members
From: Aileen Nelson <AileenN -at- ITGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:21:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Tracy Boyington [mailto:tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG]

>But what about his writing samples? Did he even have any? If not, well,
>you definitely bought a pig in a poke (sorry for the localism). If so,
>were they as bad as the work he produced for you? In either scenario,
>those who forced you to hire him deserved whatever happened. I don't
see
>this as a flaw in the technical writing field (or profession), but in
>the HR field. They hired him without checking out his qualifications.

Actually I was replying to someone's comment that job agencies looked
for Robohelp etc and never really asked if someone could write. NOt a
comment on the tech writing profession. The application side has more
emphasis than the writing. Which is a huge flaw I think. But that is
the same across the agency. Some places are so desperate for people that
they take anyone. We did it to. Being in HR, I sat in on the interviews
and gave an opinion on the candidate but very rarely did my call sit.
My call on this guy was a resounding no. I was overruled. I know this
happens in a lot of places. Did I ever see writing samples for him?
Just one. It was decent but not great. We ended up firing him. HE had
no ethics (recruited people from the workplace) and couldn't write. What
is the point of this though? A lot of places are giving jobs to people
who can't write. Which overall brings the profession down. (Please
note that this is my first position as a tech writer so I readily admit
that I am not an expert. Its just an observation).

>However, your comment about his speech patterns concerns me. I write
>better than I speak (which is why I became a writer), and I'd hate to
>think someone judged my writing skills based on my speaking skills.
>Anybody else? Or am I being too sensitive? :-)

Every HR person has something they look for in a candidate. For me, its
an ability for a person to get through an interview without using "uh"
every second word or colloquialisms. The ability to form a complete
sentence and to use them in a consistent manner. Not sure I am
explaining this correctly but I guess its the formality of speach that I
was looking for. "Speaking" per se isn't really what I was looking for.
Not everyone speaks "well" but the ability to use the language in a
decent manner is/was important to me.

The flaw is in the IT industry though. I recruited for many many
positions, most of them senior. I would get calls from agenceis "This
guy is fabulous, senior senior senior, highly recommended" etc. When he
wrote my test, over 50% of them failed. ANd I know they got hired
elsewhere. As seniors. At high rates. ITs very appaling.

Just my two cents.

A.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=