Re: Letters of Recommendation

Subject: Re: Letters of Recommendation
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:27:14 -0400

> A while ago I read an article in a local paper regarding someone who
> sued a
> former employer of someone they had recently hired for providing a
> misleading letter of reference. The former employer did not
> accurately
> convey the person's skill set and qualifications.
>
> Has anyone heard of similar cases?

Yes, there have been such cases. In addition, there have been cases
where one company sued another over the "good reference" given a former
employee (who turned out "not so good"). The current employer sued the
former employer for giving *false and misleading* information about the
new employee (who the former employer actually fired!).

Most companies frown on letters of reference because of the legal
tightrope. Most letters are very dry and *neutral* providing only the
starting dates and position, and ending dates and position of a former
employee. Many lay-off letters are like this. Companies take great
care not to offer ANY OPNIONS about a former employee (even if such can
be proven) for fear of lawsuits.

Brian Flaherty
ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=