Re: Letters of Recommendation

Subject: Re: Letters of Recommendation
From: Maria <mariac -at- NAS -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:02:01 -0700

A while ago I read an article in a local paper regarding someone who sued a
former employer of someone they had recently hired for providing a
misleading letter of reference. The former employer did not accurately
convey the person's skill set and qualifications.

Has anyone heard of similar cases?

Maria.

----------
> From: nhickman <nhickman -at- gvi -dot- net>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Re: Letters of Recommendation
> Date: Thursday, August 06, 1998 11:42 AM
>
> Letters are often written as favors, so returning them with a note to
correct the
> errors is a very tricky situation.
>
> If you have questions, you can always contact the person that wrote the
letters
> and try to get some clarity. The last manager may have different values
than you.
> I know that I have my own values about attendence and dress code that is
not the
> same as everyone. A person not at their desk directly at 8, but who gets
the job
> done, does not get under my skin, so I would not even comment on this
aspect.

> Letters of recommendations or phone recommendations can be deceiving.
Some people
> want to get rid of the person gracefully at their office, so they'll
write
> anything. On the other hand, you may see or hear information about a
person that
> is false, either because the person doing the recommendation cannot write
or
> speak clearly or because of some character flaw.
>
> I know of a case last month where a manager was fired, because she
trashed
> everyone that left her group, despite his or her performance. This
manager did
> this even though she said she would give a good review and seemed happy
for the
> person leaving. However, the manager eventually got caught for her
patently false
> comments to other employers. Isn't it a shame that in the meantime some
people in
> the community got a false impression of some really good candidates.
>
> Letters and grades and degrees don't let a hiring manager off the hook
for
> carefully evaluating a candidate. And please, you guys out there, let the
> candidate know on a fairly regular basis where you are in the
decision/hiring
> process. Give as much courtesy as you demand of applicants.
>
> -- Nancy Hickman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=