Re: HR versus Tech writing

Subject: Re: HR versus Tech writing
From: Joseph Herbert <JJHerb -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:12:16 EDT

About Speaking, Writing, and Computer operation:

Speaking: Sometimes Instructional people are called on to explain what they
are doing to a group managers or to actually present that gem of a course they
developed to a group of students. Selecting a candidate on the basis of
knowing Framemaker may not be helpful in this situation.

Writing: Write a clear, concise, declarative sentence. It is a low bar that
many can't jump. Explain a concept or process without using industry jargon.
Seems like a low bar but catches many about neck level. Here, neither
glibness of speech nor facility with RoboHelp are much good.

Computer Operation: It seems that the Holy Grail of HR resume searchers are
Proficient with - (fill in the blank). I can understand that companies don't
wish to spent high rate contract dollars for a person who struggles with the
equipment or application. However, I taught myself to use DisplayWrite III
without a manual in less than a day and finished the editing task in less than
the expected time. Many people have had to move from application to
application and have done it successfully without much help. If you try to
use Word help, it's not much help.

On the other hand, the same managers who demand the contractor have 15 years
experience in an application that has only existed for 5 will decide to
convert the entire organization's Email or word processor seemingly without a
thought for the thousands of hours wasted by the confused worker bees.

I would be much happier if there were more emphasis placed on hiring writing
skills or verbal facility rather than industry knowledge or application
familiarity. I would judge that the sad state of the manuals that accompany
so many devices and software programs can be laid at the feet of the manager
who demanded hiring the person with 5 years wireless telecom experience and
knew Framemaker. The industry experience removes you from the user so you
leave out important information that "everybody knows" and the application
facility means you can produce garbage faster.

Of course, the things I wish to be the most important are the most difficult
or time consuming to assess. Darn.

Joseph Herbert
JJHerb -at- aol -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=