Re: HR versus Tech writing

Subject: Re: HR versus Tech writing
From: Marie McHarry <Mmcharry -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:58:01 EDT

In a message dated 98-08-10 13:25:55 EDT, JJHerb -at- AOL -dot- COM writes:

<< I would be much happier if there were more emphasis placed on hiring
writing
skills or verbal facility rather than industry knowledge or application
familiarity. I would judge that the sad state of the manuals that accompany
so many devices and software programs can be laid at the feet of the manager
who demanded hiring the person with 5 years wireless telecom experience and
knew Framemaker. >>

Yes, I agree totally. If you are trying to write a manual to explain how a
device works, it actually helps if you don't have the foggiest idea about it.
I have absolutely no background in electronics, but I can sit down with
engineers who've designed a product and get them to tell me what I need to
know to make it work--and then write a manual for the non techies who are
actually going to be using it.

This approach works for most technical fields, at least the ones that I've had
experience with. I think that the emphasis on technical experience and
knowledge of applications came about because HR staffers don't generally
understand what makes a good technical writer, or for that matter, what makes
a good professional of any type. A friend of mine who has been a lawyer for a
large corporation for many years does not even allow HR to screen applicants,
except to find out if they have a law degree. I think the same is true for
most professions; the only persons truly competent to judge the abilities of
professionals are practicing members of the same profession. Also, since
recommendations have become such a legally touchy issues, it's often hard to
get an honest assessment from someone who familiar with an individual's
writing ability.

A manager once, when I told him what my rates were, said "For that amount of
money, I can hire an engineer." I pointed out that he had lots of engineers on
staff, so maybe he should have them do the manual. I got the job, but this guy
was never happy about it (though the engineers were). The problem was the
underlying assumption that if a person knows about something, they can write
about it. Wrong!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I'm preaching to the choir.

Marie McHarry
mailto: Mmcharry -at- aol -dot- com
Greenview, IL USA

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=