Re: Dividing the Tech writer job

Subject: Re: Dividing the Tech writer job
From: Theresa Jakupco <Tsjz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:03:37 EDT

Jane,

<<Typists do not "grow into technical writers.">>

An arrow shot threw my heart as I read this. Nonsense! I began as a
typist/typesetter in the early '70s. I could/can read most
scientific/engineering/computer-related journals with very good comprehension.
At least enough to point out that some sentences were probably not what the
professional intended to say.

Don't be too quick to criticize someone you're training as incompetent when
they're just beginning to learn new software terminology. Not everyone has the
same learning curve in all areas. I was in the same position on several
occasions and eventually replaced the trainers! A little encouragement from
you is in order. Who knows, you might actually need their expertise someday.

Theresa Jakupco
tsjz -at- aol -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=