Search engine and index for a simple HTML help system!

Subject: Search engine and index for a simple HTML help system!
From: Tytus Pluciennik <tytusp -at- ADLEX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:07:28 +0200

Hi!!
Does anyone know of a Search Engine which can be applied to a set of .HTML
files which form an online system.

Also, some HTML help systems use an alphabetical index that usually starts
with a set of buttons representing each letter of the alphabet (a link to
topics that start with the letter chosen) - You know what I mean, I hope.
The point is that my help system is as gimmick-free as possible and I'd like
an index that follows the same rule.
Before I over-analyze this whole matter, I should get to the point: Do any
of you know of an application that can generate such a straight-forward
index, or should I do it manually?

Thank You in advance!!!
Tytus Pluciennik,
Gdansk, Poland