Re: Search engine and index for a simple HTML help system!

Subject: Re: Search engine and index for a simple HTML help system!
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:57:16 -0700

Tytus Pluciennik wrote:

> ... some HTML help systems use an alphabetical index that usually
> starts with a set of buttons representing each letter of the alphabet
> (a link to topics that start with the letter chosen).
> The point is that my help system is as gimmick-free as possible and
> I'd like an index that follows the same rule.
>
> Do any of you know of an application that can generate such
> a straight-forward index...?

That is *precisely* the purpose of our new program, HTML Indexer(tm).

HTML Indexer produces a single, simple HTML file that you add to your
HTML project. The file consists of a "back of the book"-style index
with links across the top (and optionally the bottom, too) that point to
the letter groups within the index.

You can choose whether to use text or graphics for these links to the
letter headings (and for the headings themselves). The program even
includes two sets of graphics (Symbols, Numbers, and A through Z) that
you can use in your own indexes.

To use HTML Indexer, you simply tell it which files you want to include
in your index. HTML Indexer scans the files, creating an index entry
for each file and another for each named anchor within those files. If
you're satisfied with the default entries, just set a few stylistic
options (or accept the default settings), and click the Make Index
button.

Most indexers will override the default entries, adding synonyms, making
entries consistent in capitalization and terminolgy, and so on.

HTML Indexer makes it easy to create exactly the index you want. As you
work, you can sort index entries by type (file-level or anchor-level,
default or enhanced), by entry text (as they'll be in the finished
index), or by target URL. You can even view subsets of your index by
selecting target anchors and files in the project "tree."

Best of all, HTML Indexer stores your index entries right in your source
HTML files, so you can refresh the index any time you add files or move
them around. HTML Indexer determines the target URLs, so you can
concentrate on making the best index possible.

Please visit http://www.brown-inc.com/indexer/FAQ.htm for more
information about HTML Indexer. Then, if you have any questions, send
mailto:HTML-Indexer -at- brown-inc -dot- com -dot-

Thank you,

--David

David M. Brown -- Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com