Re: Response to Documentation Girls Flaming

Subject: Re: Response to Documentation Girls Flaming
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:45:57 -0400

Toni

Then they will deal with it. They may in reality, be treated with a
great deal of respect...we don't know that and to become their guardian
angel without knowing is wrong. When did we become the appointed
watchkeeper of the PC movement. The degree that Melissa was jumped on
only gave the impression that some people understand that they are not
equipped to contribute anything to the mechanics of tech writing, so to
get their 2 cents on the board, will jump on an issue that doesn't
require knowledge or training, just an indignant voice.

It may have been more appropriate to phrase it as "Gee, Melissa, that
might be an insensitive thing to call them, but regarding your question,
yada, yada, yada..."

I'm sorry, but someone equated the term "girl" to "n.....". I didn't
catch the actual author since as soon as I saw that word, the message
and it's author became irrelevant. That only leads me to believe that
they don't truly understand how repulsive the n word is.

Is "documentation girl" demeaning? Only they would know. Maybe, by not
being a girl, I don't have the right insite. However, when someone at a
previous contract said.."Give the job to the boys in tech pubs", I
didn't get out of shape.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good
poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few
reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=