FrameMaker -> WebWorks -> WinHelp

Subject: FrameMaker -> WebWorks -> WinHelp
From: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- ENCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:42:18 -0600

Good day everyone. I'm curious whether anyone else is using WebWorks
Publisher to produce WinHelp or HTML Help files from FrameMaker
documents. I'm looking to start a discussion about producing printed and
on-line documentation from a single source using these tools. I'm
interested in exchanging tips, tricks, techniques, and source files.
I'll conduct the conversation off the list, unless there is a lot of
interest in this topic.

By way of introduction, I've just started working for a small startup
company and am building a technical publications department from
scratch. I am writing manuals that cover a wide range of subjects
including hardware, firmware, and software. I have already identified 16
manuals that I need to write. Many of these manuals are for programs
that will also include context-sensitive online help.

I am well aware that simply porting a printed manual to WinHelp does not
an online help system make. Professional WinHelp authors often write
help systems from the ground up, using dedicated help authoring tools.
I'm attempting to get around the usual pitfalls of the single-source
approach by taking full advantage of Frame's conditional text feature
and WebWorks ability to toggle Frame's conditional text settings during
the conversion. I'm also beginning to use FrameScript to automatically
insert cross references which, after conversion, become hot links in the
non-scrolling region. I've tried to be clever in how I map paragraph
styles in order to "chunk" the information in a manner that is more
appropriate for on-line reading. I'm also trying to dream up ways of
layering information so customers can choose to get "just the facts" or
more detailed information if they choose. I've already finished our
first manual, along with its corresponding context-sensitive WinHelp
system.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. If you're interested you can reply to
the address listed below. Thanks for your time.

Martin R. Smith
Technical Writer / Audiophile
ENCORP: The Energy Automation Company, http://www.encorp.com
smithmr -at- encorp -dot- com