Computers and right justified margins (Was spaces)

Subject: Computers and right justified margins (Was spaces)
From: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- ENCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:08:03 -0600

This reply got me thinking. A long time back I completed an internship
at a medium-sized daily newspaper. At the time, we were using two
mainframe computers for all writing and page layout activities. Pages
were composed on dedicated terminals and output to an imagesetter. News
stories were typeset with right justified margins. The system actually
altered the way in which it drew individual characters instead of
tweaking the spacing between characters, words, and sentences. So the
question is, why can't the Pentium II computer on my desk accomplish the
same thing? I thought that Adobe's multiple master fonts were supposed
to make high quality typesetting on the desktop a reality. As far as I
know, none of the major desktop publishing programs alters the shape of
individual characters in order to right justify text. There is still a
noticeable difference in quality between documents produced on the
desktop and documents produced using dedicated typesetting equipment.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=