Re: spaces

Subject: Re: spaces
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:49:06 -0400

At 01:35 PM 8/12/98 -0400, Shaun McNamara wrote:

>I recently got into a debate about using two spaces or one space after a
>period in a Word document, being told to use only one space. At my last
>Technical Writing job my manager was adamant about using two spaces after a
>period, and I have become accustomed to using two spaces. How does
>everyone/anyone feel about this issue? Is there some sort of existing
>rule? One of the reasons given to me was that because more and more
>documents are converted to HTML or uploaded to the web in file
>repositories, space is an issue, hence single spacing.

My two cents:

If you are using non-proportional/monospaced fonts (like Courier) in
which every character has the same width, use two spaces after a
period.

If you are using proportional fonts (like Times or Helvetica) in which
characters have variable widths, use one space after a period.

People who insist on always using two spaces after a period tend to be
people who came of age in the typewriter era.

Computers running modern word processing or DTP software bear only a
superficial resemblance to typewriters. Don't follow old rules when
new technology makes them nonsensical.

Best regards.
--
Barry Campbell | Why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com | is over my head... (Duke Ellington/Bob Russell,

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=