Re: Texts on Grammar

Subject: Re: Texts on Grammar
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:41:56 -0400

At 07:11 AM 8/25/98 -0400, Stephen D. Murphy wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good solid English grammar book? I have "The
>Elements of Style" and "The Elements of Technical Writing;" these are
>good as far as they go but much too skimpy. Dull is okay, thorough is
>essential.

Steve,

There are a number of useful resources on the Web. Yahoo! catalogs
many of them at the following URL:

http://www.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Linguistics_and_Human_Languages/Languages/Specific_Languages/English/Grammar__Usage__and_Style/

In print, I prefer the Harbrace College Handbook, but any freshman-comp
grammar guide (Holt, HarperCollins, Warriner) would probably serve you
equally well. Harbrace is dry as dirt, but cogent and complete.

Hope this helps.

Barry Campbell * barry -at- webveranda -dot- com * 40.77 N, 73.97 W
--
[O]ne of the strongest motives that leads men to art
and science is escape from everyday life with its

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=