Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:52:55 -0700

Lisa,

The interesting distinction you make also pertains to writing v.
techwriting. Some of the greatest prose and poetry in English are great
because they pack so much information into so few words. If I did this in my
techwriting, it would be suicide. You might say that the programmer's
writing is somewhat analogous to non-technical English. Ironic, no?

I would also draw a similar distinction between technical works for
native-English speakers v. those for non-native English speakers. In
internationalizing the documentation I am working on, I find a lot of stuff
that I need to make more explicit.

What frightens me about this profession is that through its practice, I'll
lose my ability to write densely packed, highly allusive prose.

Leonard Porrello
Compaq, Telecom Solutions Division
Pubs, Omaha
402.384.7390