My Document is Too Big to Print! Need Suggestions for Printer, Please

Subject: My Document is Too Big to Print! Need Suggestions for Printer, Please
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:35:14 -0700

I have a Word 97 document that is 250 pages long and growing daily. It has
about 150 screen shots (optimized; each is about 110K), one gif, and about
a dozen Visio graphics. It's 5.83MB today.

I have a Pentium II machine with MMX technology, 6.1GB drive, 128 MB RAM.
This is a high-end machine, fully upgraded.

When I try to send my document to our LaserJet 5M, the Word dialog shows
that it's sending pages to the printer; at about 81 pages everything
freezes and I have to reboot. If I try it again, with only Word running,
the same thing happens. I can only print if I send batches of 25 pages at
a time to the printer.

Since the document has lots of graphics, I get a lot of requests for color
versions, but if I send it to the color printer, I have to send it in small
batches, too, and it takes 5 hours to print if no one jumps in ahead of me,
and the only way I can do it is to send my little batches just before I
leave for the day and hope that nobody clears the printer queue before I
come back again in the morning.

Needless to say, neither of these scenarios is acceptable and I have more
important things to do than tend a printer. So, we got a quote from the
local Kinko's/Office Max which came back at $2700 for 20 copies. This is
also unacceptable. I figure that, for $2700, we might as well invest in a
high-speed color printer for ourselves.

So, I'm wondering: does anybody have a high-speed color printer that they
are happy with, that can handle paper docs as well as transparencies with
good quality and fast?

P.S. The first thing I explored was more memory for the printers, but
found out that the color printer already has 32MB, which should be enough
for a 6MB document, shouldn't it?!

==========================
Linda Castellani
Technical Writer