Technical writing tips

Subject: Technical writing tips
From: Douglas Max <dmax -at- BELLATLANTIC -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:28:59 -0400

I had so much response to my request for proofreading/editing tips that
I thought I'd have another try at another topic...which I'll again
compile and return to the list.

Many of you thought this was a good idea, so here we go:
Dear Colleagues,

I'm looking to compile a list of tips for technical writing--excluding
proofreading/editing tips.

Rather than deal with compiling a lot of prose and struggling with
categorization, I'll start off by suggesting some categories and ask
that you contribute "bullets" appropriately categorized. Try to keep
the bullets action oriented (begin with a verb) and, nothing personal,
but remove reference to yourself...ie. "Write documentation for the
user," not, "I like to think of my readers before I write."

The categories that I think cover technical writing broadly are:

Writing Technical Reports
Writing User Manuals
Writing Software documentation
Titles, Headings, Captions
When and when not to use the passive voice

If you think other categories should be listed, please let me know or
post them to the group.

I think the mission here is helpful tips...not a book on technical
writing, as there are tons of those. You might think of this as "Cliff
Notes" for technical writers.

Expecting an even greater response than with proofreading/editing, I
anticipate that you should see this list returned to techwr late next
week at the earliest.

And, once again, I won't thank you in advance...but I will thank
you...and I know that many will appreciate the gems of wisdom we
generate.

Cordially,

Douglas Max

--

LR Communication Systems, Inc.

Training in business writing and presentation skills. Seminars, distance
learning/correspondence programs with personal feedback. Online options.
Editing services. Founded in 1969.

http://www.LRcom.com

E-mail for business: mail -at- LRcom -dot- com
personal: dmax -at- bellatlantic -dot- net

voice @ Work: (908) 464-1231
fax (908) 464-1350

139 Dogwood Lane
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922-0264