Re: Apprenticeship ( WAS: Conceit)

Subject: Re: Apprenticeship ( WAS: Conceit)
From: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- LYNX -dot- DAC -dot- NEU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 23:50:44 -0400

George Mena wrote:

> Starting out as an apprentice! There's a concept! :D
>
> It's good enough for electricians, plumbers, carpenters, machinists and
> many other honorable trades.
>
> It's also good enough for tech writers -- but I say that only because I
> apprenticed after earning my journalism degree from college. And even
> then, it helped a lot to have worked for the hometown newspaper while
> going to school.
>
> TW programs in college need to work with other apprenticeship programs,
> especially ones offering on-the-job training, but that's just my
> opinion. :D

As a mid-life career changer who's been an
"intern" for one year, I certainly agree with
you. This last year has been a wonderful addition
to my two years of study in a master's technical
writing program. To say that I have learned an
incredible amount in the last year would be like
saying the Empire State Building is a highrise.
What I have gained from being an apprentice/intern
is absolutely incalculable.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=