Re: On-Line Help project--sorting it out

Subject: Re: On-Line Help project--sorting it out
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:58:33 -0400

> From: Hilary J. Harris [mailto:hilaryh -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM]
> Subject: On-Line Help project--sorting it out

> ...The message received from
> the client asks that the MSWord documentation be converted to HTML,
> with a suggestion to use Word or MSFrontPage. In my humble
> knowledge, I know the HTML conversion can be done this way, but having a
> Help system requires another major step, yes? Don't know anything about
FrontPage
> capabilities and features but don't think it's designed to create on-line
> Help systems.

I would not even try to use MS Word as a serious HTML generating tool. The
"save as HTML" feature is extremely limited. I use it occasionally to create
a quick HTML version of some single-page documents with almost no
formatting, where instant turnaround is more important than the quality of
the results. And I'm stretching it for that.

> 1. Is 'Net Help' the same as HTML help? Is 'On-line Help' the
> proper term used to describe a 'generic' HTML-based Help system (somewhere
in the
> cobwebs of my brain, am thinking that Net Help is Netscape's version of
> on-line Help). From a user standpoint, wouldn't it be best to provide a
> generic Help system that could be fully functional if the end user has
> either Netscape or IE for a browser?

"Net Help" is (was?) the Netscape implementation. "HTML Help" is a Microsoft
product. The generic term is "HTML-based help" or "web-based help,"
depending on delivery. "Web-based" at least implies that some part of the
help system will be downloaded, while "HTML-based" could be downloaded or
could be distributed on disk, CD, or tape.

The term "on-line help" is even more generic. "on-line help" can refer to
the new HTML-based systems, WinHelp, Unix "man" pages, or even proprietary
systems or hard-coded messages included in the software. My first help
systems were compiled into the program code, back when I was a programmer
and we had to resort to fending off Diplodicus with our DOS boot floppies.

> 2.If MS HTML Help requires IE4 for full functionality, does this mean
> that if a user has Netscape as a browser, that he/she won't get full
> functionality? Also, am assuming that any files produced in
> IE3.02 can be viewed with IE4, yes?

Exactly.

> 3. Just so I'm armed to make a case for the client, do you know whether
> FrontPage provides Help system features like TofC? Maybe what I'm asking
> is: what is FrontPage truly designed for--limitations? (like best for Web
> page creation but not for Help)?

FrontPage is not intended as a help authoring tool.

> 4. (more case-arming for my client) Do screen shot types of graphics
> import well into FrontPage, or does RH HTML Help provide more
> flexibility (i.e. do a better job) with graphics?

Neither program handles graphics directly. HTML links to graphics, it
doesn't directly incorporate them. So you would typically use some other
program to develop graphic files, in either GIF or JPG format.

FrontPage comes with Image Composer, which is a very adequate piece of
software for most simple graphics. It's what I use most often for
screenshots. It has good layering functionality, and I use it for quite a
few things.

> 5. Does any on-line Help tool on the market provide the same shipping
> format as, say RH winhelp where it can ship as a single Help file?

HTML Help, the Microsoft product, has a compiled format that combines all
the files into one.
By the way - the winhelp format is Microsoft's, not RoboHelp's. RoboHelp
(like most help authoring tools in the Windows environment) prepares input
files for the Microsoft WinHelp compiler.

> 6. How would you approach this if you were new to Help development like
> me --ie. what on-line help development tool would you pick to create
> web-based help (intuitive, quick learning curve, easy to use, etc.)?

I would probably use ForeHelp if possible. It has a nearly WYSIWYG editor.

> 7. Any other important issues about creating a HTML-based
> system to ask the client?

I'd still be a little reluctant to make the switch to HTML-based help right
now. I don't think it's quite ready yet. Soon, but I'd kind of avoid it
unless there is a good reason to make the switch.

Some of the help authoring tools are able to convert projects very quickly
and easily.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=