Re: Mouseless Internet Navigation (RSI concerns)

Subject: Re: Mouseless Internet Navigation (RSI concerns)
From: Scott Browne <sbrowne -at- UNICOMP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:21:19 -0600

Lisa Comeau wrote:

<snip>
> QUESTION:
>
> Does anyone know of keyboard shortcuts that can be used to navigate
> the web? Specifically, accessing hyperlinks without clicking on
> them. (If the link states the address, it could be typed in, I
> suppose, but what about the links that say things like "To send an
> email to me, click HERE".)
>
> Any ideas on how to approach this?

Lisa,

As far as I can tell, all navigation on a Web page can already be
accomplished by using the keyboard. The PgUp and PgDn keys can be used
for scrolling. The Tab key will move you from hyperlink to hyperlink.
Shift-Tab will move you backwards among the hyperlinks. And pressing
Enter will activate the link. Alt + Left Arrow will take you back a
page and Alt + Right Arrow will take you forward to where you've
already been. I know this works for IE, Netscape, and (of course) Lynx.
I seem to remember it also working for good ol' Mosaic. And I'd be
surprised if other Web browsers (like whatever comes with AOL or
CompuServe) don't do the same things.

Scott
sbrowne -at- unicomp -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=