Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation

Subject: Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation
From: "Pilipovich, Kathleen" <Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- KMAIL -dot- KSC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:50:23 -0400

> [snip from David Hickey's suggestion]
> My advice: write a detailled report on the problem
> which includes:
> * what the problem is
> * how it affects your job
> * possible solutions
> Make the report as dry and business-like as possible,
> pointing out that there is a real problem here rather
> than an imagined one. The possible solutions part is
> important. It shows that you want to work this out, not
> just to point a finger.
-------------------
Good suggestion! Before giving your report to management,
be sure to have at least one other person read and edit it for
you. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone that you work
with. Just make sure that person understands the situation.

I've been in similar situations in the past. I find that my first
draft of a report documenting a problem has a very angry
tone -- and rightfully so! You don't want management to
pick up on that anger because they tend to view it as a
personality conflict and not a legitimate problem. That's why
you need another person to edit out the anger and help you
state only the facts in a professional manner. I had a fellow
tech writer who would edit for me.

I wrote the report and edited it until I felt I had removed all the
anger. Then I'd pass it to my fellow tech writer. Sure enough,
she'd have to tone it down even more. If you don't have anyone
to edit, make sure you set it aside for 2 or 3 days in between
your edits. You'll be surprised how much of your own anger
you'll see. Take your time. This report will speak volumes
about who you are as a person.

I've been where you are! I know it's extremely difficult to write
about the problem while you're right in the middle of it. I'd be
more than happy to read your report if you need me to. Just
send the file in Word7, ASCII, or RTF directly to me. Good
luck!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=