Re: DemonSME (long)

Subject: Re: DemonSME (long)
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:39:16 -0400

Wow, do I empathize with this situation from previous work assignments!
Anonymous wrote:

>Am I better off just leaving this alone
>and keeping my mouth shut until I'm in
>a position to take another job?

NO! You need to be proactive. Right now you're
feeling crappy, for good reason, and your
confidence is shot. Like me, you are probably
someone who prefers to peaceably keep a low
profile and just ride it out. But this situation
is WAY beyond intolerable. When someone resorts
to blatant sabotage, then you need to act.
You'll feel better by taking back control.

Here's what I suggest:
1. Choose a time and a (private) place to confront
the DemonSME (I like that nickname!). Tell her,
nicely, that you perceive a problem with
your working relationship, and you'd like to
clear things up. Don't let her pressure you into
talking about it there and then. Make sure you have
neutral turf, and that you have had time to mentally
prepare for battle. But don't make it too far in the
future, you need to address this soonest! Besides,
she can stew for a bit. You don't need to be
accusatory, even though you have every right. Try
to keep it as non-threatening as possible.

2. Tell your supervisor that there is a problem with
this person, and you are going to meet with her to
try to solve it. It reflects much better on you if
you show you're taking charge, and attempting to solve
this without help. Most managers neither like nor are
good at solving personality conflicts. Let your
supervisor know that if you and the SME can't come
to some agreement, then you will want to meet with
him to discuss it further. This gives
him a heads up about what to expect. Tell him you'll
report back about the results. Again, don't let him
pressure you into spilling your guts there and then.
Say you'll attempt this first, and then get back to
him.

3. When you meet with this woman, remind her of your
qualifications for the job -- perhaps she isn't aware
of your background. Tell her your expectations of working
with SMEs (not her specifically). Then outline where your
working relationship has not met those expectations. Make
it all very non-personal. Don't accuse her of anything,
even if she's guilty, or attack her personally.
If she becomes defensive, don't get sucked into
defending yourself. Let her rant. Nod if you want, but then
re-iterate how you would like the working relationship
to go on from there. Calmly discuss the matter. No matter
how angry she gets, or you feel, remain calm. Don't even
raise your voice. If she starts arguing, calmly (not
snarkily) say that it seems conditions are not right to
continue the discussion just now, and perhaps you both
need to take a break. Does she want to reschedule the
meeting for another time? This gives her an out. You want
to confront her, not corner her.

If you feel that you cannot comfortably or safely meet
with her one-to-one, whether it's because you feel you
need a witness otherwise there might be unfounded
accusations (and these days, anything could happen!),
then arrange for a meeting with her, with your supervisor
AND her supervisor in attendance. Make it a real meeting.
Create an agenda for the discussion. This is a problem-solving
meeting, not an attack. You're a mature professional. If she
doesn't act like one, that's her problem. Try to keep control
of the meeting. Lay out the problem. Identify what you see
is the solution. Ask if she has any problems with that
solution. Ask for support from the managers. Be very
businesslike. Even if it's not resolved, you will feel you
have done everything in the most professional manner
and you can be proud of yourself. You can at least
hang onto that while you stick it out. Your mature
behavior will impress the managers, where her childish
actions will reveal her shortcomings.

Another thing -- document everything! Try to write down
dates, times, places, gist of the discussion, etc. This
helps you remember exactly what was said, and provides
ammunition if you have to defend yourself against her
sabotage. You have already cleverly made copies of
material that she has subsequently changed.

You also wrote:
>I've been doing tech writing for over ten
>years now. I've done lots and lots of stuff,
>and I am good. I'm fast, I'm accurate, and
>writing's second nature to me.

Never forget how good you really are. Don't let
some pipsqueak tear down your confidence and
your excellent reputation. You will pull this
mess out of the fire in spite of anything she
does.

Whenever she makes a snide remark, smile
sweetly, with that amused but tolerant expression
we use when children make silly comments, and
counter her remark in an adult fashion. "Not my
first job out of college, probably my thousandth."

You also might want to start giving your boss
little progress reports that remind him how good
you really are. "Just thought you'd like to know
that I finished those chapters ahead of schedule."

Good luck!
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=