Re: Techwriting vs. infodesign?

Subject: Re: Techwriting vs. infodesign?
From: Bernie McCann <BernieMc -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:42:21 EDT

Hi Geoff;

You write;

.... snip, snip .... infodesign includes writing and
illustration, as well as other things such as usability, audience
analysis, and on and on. Here's the problem: most technical writers
also do these things nowadays, as a few days spent reading techwr-l
will demonstrate.
<<
May I comment on two aspects of the above statement. As "communicators"
involved on this List, in this controversial subject, should we be careful
about the choice of words. Of course, I know that this is only e-mail, right!
So we can't spend too much time editing our imput. Nevertheless, we should be
aware that ambiguity encourages heated debate (Much disliked by Eric .... and
myself).

To the first point; the use the word "most" (in this case). What is the
evidence? Perhaps the continual use of the abbreviation, "IMHO" results from
an understanding of the problem. In my honest opinion, I'm sure that a large
number (deliberate usage) of technical writers try to be technical
illustrators these days, but copying screen shots into publications is not,
with respect, technical illustration. Perhaps I may put it another way -
should there be an advertisement for technical illustrators, could most of
these writers successfully apply for the job? (Cries of "unfair" heard in the
distance).

Secondly, in my honest opinion, the use of Techwr-l as a accurate indicator of
numbers is misleading - there must be, at least, 4,000 tech. writers in Canada
alone. My personal analysis indicates that Techwr-l is used predominantly by
software industry writers.

As a Montrealer (?), I'm sure that you saw the advertisement: "Technical
Writer Wanted in sole writing position, familiar with Word, FrameMaker and
CorelDraw, 5 years experience, and fluent in both official languages"!! (I
detect, at least, six distinct tasks - or job descriptions - within this
statement). Unfortunately, we are so used to seeing this that the usual
reponse is, "So, what's wrong with that?"

"Techwriting" suggests a person, to me, and "infodesign" suggests a team.

Now, before the flames arrive, please note that I am NOT saying that this
company should employ six different people. Just simply, know thyself.

It is enough that you stopped to think. ;-)

Bernie
Canada

Flames come from fire, and result in ashes.
Then, ashes become concrete. :(

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=