Re: Intimidation and Harassment

Subject: Re: Intimidation and Harassment
From: David Harrison <david-x -dot- harrison -at- BAE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:38:21 +0100

First, my apologies to all Techwhirlers for the earlier blank message -
finger trouble!
I'm not one who normally joins in with these slightly off-subject threads but
I will add more reinforcement to Deborahs' last message.
I also had the msifortune of having to work with a psychological bully and,
to cut a long story short, eventually accepted a good voluntary redundancy
package to move on. (That's how I ended up retraining as a TW (but that was
another thread)).
After I left, I discovered that this particular bully was an expert at
character assasination, and that he had used the technique to ruthlessly step
over "colleagues" on his way up over a period of ten or more years. All the
time, his managers never suspected a thing. However, his final victim, a
friend of mine, refused to be ruffled and did just as Deborah suggested. He
kept a daily log of every single incidence that affected him. This extended to
both direct experiences and those that were done behind his back (any that he
managed to hear of second hand). It took less than a year to build up quite an
amazing diary. He also had been diligent enough to inform a superior of the
bullying quite early in the episode and, when it came to the crunch, he had
enough ammunition to save his bacon. The bully was also exposed and soon after
others who had suufered from the bully's tactics came out of the woodwork.
The last "victim" came out of the situation with a glowing appraisement,
especially for his patience in dealing with the persecution. The bully, well
he stayed where he was, but his personal records were marked and he lost all
future chance of promotion.
So please, do take the initiative. Start now keeping that diary and see if
any work colleagues will keep you informed of matters that go on when you're
not around. As soon as it makes bad/good reading (depending on who's opinion)
find a senior that will respect staff confidence and let them know what's
happening and what you're doing. Don't expect immediate managerial action,
but let the bully continue to write their own epitath.
I'm sure now that keeping tabs is the only real solution. When a senior
manager asks for examples of what has gone on then clear records of what,
where and when will be far more effective than hazy memories and forgotten
details.
Just stay calm and start defending.

Best wishes
David Harrison
"david-x -dot- harrison -at- bae -dot- co -dot- uk"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=