Re: How to be successful? (A Bit Long)

Subject: Re: How to be successful? (A Bit Long)
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:47:02 -0400

Anonymous,

Suzette made a good point about being professional. Let me put my opinion
into a more professional tone. Disarm her by being nice in exchange for
hostility, learn to work together and become business allies. A radical
idea? Maybe, but people began adopting this principle 2000 years ago. Does
it make you less of a professional? No.

It is not easy. I'm glad I'm not in her position. It can work.

I didn't mean to say "become her psychotherapist and confidant."

Learning to work with difficult people is, in my opinion, a very valuable
asset to any professional. I'll get off my moral soap-box and get back to
work now.

By the way, I've been known to bring in cookies or homemade ice cream for
my friends at work.

Tom Johnson
Traverse City, MI. Where the air and water are clean.

business johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com

On Friday, August 21, 1998 11:59 AM, Suzette Seveny
[SMTP:sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM] wrote:
> I just realized that I have been approaching my career all wrong! I
thought
> that being good at my job, having a professional demeanor, possessing
excellent
> communication skills, winning the respect of management as well as my
peers,
> etc., would eventually ensure my success. I have even been delusional
enough
> to believe that over the past several years it has been working. I have
just
> now realized there's so much more I need to achieve. The last couple of
posts
> pointed this out to me.
>
> How to Deal with Extremely Difficult Personalities:
>
>snip
>
> Seriously though, this is business. I might use the above approaches to
deal
> with a difficult neighbour, or whatever, but not at work. I'm not
suggesting
> vindictiveness or revenge, by any means, but neither do I advocate the
> opposite. I attempt to be as professional as possible at work, and will
treat
> others with professional respect and courtesy. I expect others to treat
me the
> same way. If someone treated me in the manner described by Anonymous, I
would
> definitely not bake them fudge or brownies. If she needs friends let her
join
> a sewing circle.

snip

> Just offering a different opinion,