Re: Time Sheets

Subject: Re: Time Sheets
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:25:01 -0400

kalpana thakar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you folks tell me if you are required to fill time sheets on a
> daily basis which tracks/measures the number of hours you spend in a
> particular activity in a day?
>
> I sincerly believe that since our job entails a lot of creativity,
> there's no way in which one can track/measure creativity. A lot of
> thought process goes into our job, so can one start jotting down the
> time spent on the thought process?

Kalpana,

Unless you work for a demented control freak (not suggesting that you
don't--I haven't met your boss), the purpose of time sheets is to charge
time against projects and/or clients for accounting purposes. For
example, if you spend 35 hours a week on tasks related to new product
development, then the burdened cost of your 35 hours can be deducted as
R&D expense, which has tax benefits for the company. If you spend the
remaining five hours on administrative duties, or writing marketing
brochures, then those five hours go in different expense columns.

In my experience, despite general paranoia to the contrary, companies
are not interested in tracking your bathroom breaks and phone calls as
much as they are interested in having defensible recordkeeping
procedures in place for cost accounting purposes.

Ask your supervisor what level of detail is expected. Usually you can
get away with a best guess approach that adds up to the right number of
total hours at the end of the week and allocates your time reasonably
among projects. All the little boxes on the form are there to help you
keep track day by day, but the weekly totals are what go in the books.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=