Re: How to be successful? (A Bit Long)

Subject: Re: How to be successful? (A Bit Long)
From: John Nesbit <janesbit -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:57:56 PDT

Subject: How to be successful? (A Bit Long)
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

I just realized that I have been approaching my career all wrong! I
thought
that being good at my job,
<snip> Show her you can be compassionate. Maybe she just needs a friend.
Smother her with kindness. ...

<snip> Learn to bake fudge or brownies ... <end snip>

B...opposite. I attempt to be as professional as possible at work, and
will treat
others with professional respect and courtesy. I expect others to treat
me the
same way. If someone treated me in the manner described by Anonymous, I
would
definitely not bake them fudge or brownies. If she needs friends let
her join
a sewing circle. ...

While I am no mind reader (and this is especially difficult via email),
the spirit behind the posts about making friends and baking brownies is
actually very good.
Most people who don't move up in organizations or who end up losing a
position are in those situations for one primary reason: relationships
and people skills.
Even though many would like to think businesses are professional and
should be run fairly, and professonally, many decisions are made on the
basis of relationships--and it's been that way for eons. A classic book
EVERYONE should read and re-read is Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends
and Influence People". It explains simple principles and seems like
common sense, yet few people actually practice what Carnegie teaches.
Technical writers who are looking to move "up the ladder", get better
conditions or pay, keep their positions or get new ones, get more
co-operation from peers, supervisors, technical experts, etc. would be
wise to study this book and follow its principles. You'll likely find
that "becoming a friend" or "baking brownies" will get you along the
trail more readily than studying a "professional" book.

John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=