2 posts in one...one relevant, one not necessarily...

Subject: 2 posts in one...one relevant, one not necessarily...
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:39:00 -0400

Off topic: check the Dilbert site
http://www.dilbert.com/

- and a relevant topic:

How exactly do *you* (yep, it's an opinion question, g*d forbid!) go about using examples in manuals that get your point across? I'm curious to see whether you use cute names, humor, or "real" people (the Vice President of Finance), and which you feel is most effective in *your* situation at the present time. Also, if it is effective, do you ever think the circumstances will change? If it is "not" effective, what would you change?

(There's a method to my madness, I'm trying to make a case for a standard type of example in "our" user manuals, and I haven't decided which way to go yet...)

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association