Desk Marketing -Reply

Subject: Desk Marketing -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:42:49 -0400

Jim;

I think this is a fantastic idea. I have done something very similar, being in an "open concept" cubicle with waist-high walls, (next to the only bathrooms on this floor) but I have taken it one step further. I have turned my extra storage space into a "lending library" of sorts with a sign-out sheet.

My software manuals and binders are available to anyone who wants to borrow them - as long as they sign the sheet - (and believe it or not, they do!). This way, everyone gets the benefit of my budget for great books, and also from my support calls - many people can now solve their own software problems (the common ones) by signing out my "troubleshooting" binders. I've made copies of everything in case someone forgets to bring a book back right away, and my expensive software manuals are "for reference
only".

Now I have people coming in and out of my office all the time (which was mostly an annoyance before) but now they don't interrupt my work unless they specifically need to talk to *me*. I have found it's a great way to promote self-help, and being in an instructionsl/support role, it's really nice to have people do things "on their own".

Just thought someone else out there might find this helpful.

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association