need professional advice - reply

Subject: need professional advice - reply
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 07:27:54 -0700

<SNIP>In any case, I hate this job. I have no desire to continue working on
mainframe systems, and I am completely out of my depth regarding the
financial/manufacturing knowledge.<SNIP>

Its easy to feel out of your depth, but I hesitate to tell you to go ahead and quit. I have learned more from sticking it out than quitting every time. My first week of student teaching I went home crying because I didn't know how I would ever survive. I was telling myself, "What did you ever think you knew about teaching, the students know more than you. You will never get their respect." After I had time to vent a little, I shaked myself off and realized that I still had a lot to learn. I got busy and ended up loving teaching. The same thing happened my first week as a tech writer. "I thought I knew something about writing and communicating.. HAH! I am an idiot."

But guess what, I'm still here. I love my job. I didn't know a thing about the survey industry when I started. I didn't even know that there WAS a survey industry. Now I use terms such as theodolite, GPS reduction, root mean square equations, ellipsoidal projections and other such things easily.

Give yourself six months, it won't kill you. You will prove to yourself that you can learn, adapt and win. Look at it as a learning experience if nothing else. You're increasing your own value, you are learning something you knew nothing about. Go to the library, check out some books about finance and such. The kind of knowlede you will acquire in this job will help you understand your own financial situation better. You probably will learn a few things about how to invest. Take what you can, but don't quit.

Friendly advice from someone who has been there,
Cyndy Davis

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=