Re: Quark buyout of Adobe - get serious, guys!

Subject: Re: Quark buyout of Adobe - get serious, guys!
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:24:52 -0400

Alex...buyouts are funny.

First, bigger doesn't always win and smaller can buy bigger. It's not
the size of the company, it's the size of the financing and if I can
arrange more financing to buy then you can to keep, then you're mine.

Second, market cap isn't the detirmining feature. Let's say Adobe has 67
million outstanding shares. Quark could purchase those shares on the
open market, and also approach the largest shareholders and make an
offer to buy the shares from them at a higher than market price. All
they need to do is buy, own or control the voting rights of the majority
of the shares, and they own the company. This is a hostile takeover.

Of course, they then start selling what they would believe are not
valuable pieces to pay for that financing. Therefore, with Quark's
product, Pagemaker would probably be the first to go.

OTOH, and what they are first doing now, is to try a friendly takeover.
If you go to the quark site, go to Press Release page
(http://www.quark.com/about/pr001.html), you will see the letter that
Quark sent Adobe notifying them of their intent.

Alex Ragen wrote:

> Guys--
> Adobe's market cap is $1.7 billion and it has 4 times the
> sales of Quark. Quark is in no position to raise the cash
> needed to take over Adobe, so they've childishly taken the
> opportunity to publicly humiliate Adobe while it's going
> through hard times.
> I don't think a panic is in order.
> --Alex
> Alex Ragen - Technical Publications Manager
> Check Point Software Technologies, Ltd.
> alex -at- checkpoint -dot- com http://www.checkpoint.com
John Posada, Technical Writer (and interviewing for next contract)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global
Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -personal phone:732-2910-7811
-pager: 800-864-8444 pin 1857522 -pager via email:1857522 -at- pagemart -dot- net

resume: http://www.tdandw.com/resume.htm

My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good
poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few
reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=