Word6 - Master & Sub documents

Subject: Word6 - Master & Sub documents
From: Marjolijn te Velthuis <M -dot- teVelthuis -at- EHV -dot- SC -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:54:37 +0200

I am in desperate need of some assistance regarding Word 6. Let me start
off by saying that the Word help desk itself can't help me any further.

About two years ago a group of technical writers set up a complete set
of user guides for our logistics control system. They were set up in
the master and sub document structure, with millions of cross references
and the likes. (After searching the Techwhirl archives, I now realize
that this wasn't the greatest idea, but at the time it was the only
known way.)

Now, two years later, I am updating and revising these user guides. But
I have the enormous problem that I can't generate the documents. After
opening the master document, I start inserting the sub documents and
after three or four sub documents (with four to go), Word is out of
memory. I can't explain it myself, because the computer I use now is
twice as powerful and fast as those used two years ago. In fact, most of
the documents aren't even any larger in size!

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to put my documents together,
without having to convert everything to a different a software program,
because unfortunately, that (for the moment) isn't an option.

Please reply off list and I'll summarize the reactions for the list.

Thanks,
Marjolijn
--
Marjolijn te Velthuis