Subject: Responses to 'Need Advice'
From: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:51:35 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded (even those of you whose advice I didn't
like <grin>). It really *did* help to talk to other tech writers about
this situation, and by sharing your experiences, it helped me clarify what
I want to do.

Since many people asked, here is the gist of the responses I got.

Summary of responses:

- it's too soon to judge this contract; first days are always tough; wait a
week or two to decide
- talk to my employer (agency) first; explain my feelings and concerns, and
leave if I must
- consider the quality and availability of SMEs to help out with the
industry knowledge that is beyond my depth; lack of access to quality SME
knowledge will probably spell doom for me, but good SMEs will help me learn
the new industry and I'll be fine
- don't be too hasty to dismiss mainframes or this new industry; broad
experience is good
- if I decide I must leave, finding my own replacement will go a long way
toward keeping my employer and the client happy, and to preserve reputations
- it's only a six-month contract; stick it out for the six months and
decline the perm offer (provided I can adequately do the work, that is)

Less Common Responses (note the contradictions):
- I'm stupid, and now I have to live with my mistake
- basically, you never know what you're getting into until you're there;
this happens to almost everyone sooner or later
- there's no way to get out of this without burning bridges
- staying and doing a bad job, or leaving now, are both unpleasant options;
there's no way this comes out with a happy ending
- trust my instincts
- if I hate it, no point in staying
- just because I hate it is no reason to leave
- if I want to quit, I should just quit; people quit jobs every day
- it's just a contract; do your best while you're there, and look for
something new in the meantime; leave when another job comes in
- I should buck up, learn to live with unpleasantness, and stop being a
techno-snob
- a Real Tech Writer (tm) can, and is willing to write aything; if I can't
do it, I'm a bad tech writer

One responder's comments that really seemed to express my feelings:
"I have found myself in the exact same situation as you. I was hired for a
contract position which was beyond my expertise, even though I had been a
tech writer for several years. I thought I understood the application
before I accepted the job, but it was far more complicated than I'd
thought. And, like you, I absolutely hated the job. I felt like I was
documenting an application that was written in a foreign language."

Foreign language. Yup, that's what that financial/manufacturing stuff looks
like. Perfect description.

NOW... This is what I've done with this advice so far.

I realized, after talking about this with everyone, that one of the main
contributors to this situation was the way I was recruited. This time, the
main recruiter was actually my agency's account manager for the client
company. Lesson Learned: Never, never, never let an account manager recruit
you; they often do not understand what you do or what the key elements of
skills-matching are in your field (which is the case for me this time).

I went and talked to my recruiter, who I've known more than a year. She was
very understanding, and supportive. She asked me to wait a week or two
(reasonable, of course), but if after that time I still didn't think it was
going to work out, she'd find me a new job. Her perspective: if the
employee isn't happy, the work won't be up to par, and that hurts all
parties. She gave a careful, politically correct, heads-up to my client
boss, the account manager, and the agency "Go-to guy" (drives around to
deliver goodies and check on contractors).

The (client) boss called me. I explained how I am afraid my lack of
industry knowledge will be a major obstacle. He assured me the SMEs will
pull me through -- as soon as we identify who those people are, that is.
Boss was also congnizant of other issues, and very open to my concerns. It
seemed important to him to work this out, which reassured me a great deal.
(We didn't discuss the mainframe vs. GUI issue; that's not relevant to him.
I can deal with the mainframe if the other issues are addressed.)

The account manager who placed me called me. She was of the opinion that if
I was *capable* of doing the job, then the other issues are moot (an
attitude reflected in some TechWr responses to me). Mainframe vs. Windows
applications was irrelevant to her, though I explained that it can have
some impact on my ability to write. However, she listened to me, and wants
to work this out.

The Go-to Guy called me, apparently just to offer moral support. It helped.

Lastly, I spoke with other contractors who have more experience
contracting, but aren't tech writers. The programmers unanimously agreed
that I should bail. Hmmm. A little different attitude among those guys,
apparently.

Days 2 and 3 were no different, but less overwhelming. I still don't
understand anything about the system or the industry, don't have a PC or
phone, and my SME/mentor is still out sick ... but the pressure is off for
now. The tour of the factory was entertaining. "Wait and see" is the word.

Thanks again, everyone.

Kimberly
Atlanta GA

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=