Need Professional Advice

Subject: Need Professional Advice
From: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:40:55 -0400

I need professional advice.

Today I started a new tech writing contract, a six months-to-perm term.

I have found, today, that I think I misunderstood the nature of the system
I would be documenting; it's also probable that the client overestimated my
knowledge of the industry in question (manufacturing, inventory control,
financial tracking, etc.).

The system is mainframe-based, and the new software retains a mainframe
interface; I understood (assumed, apparently) that the new software would
be a GUI interface.

In any case, I hate this job. I have no desire to continue working on
mainframe systems, and I am completely out of my depth regarding the
financial/manufacturing knowledge.

My question is: What do I do? How can I gracefully back out of the
contract, while preserving the reputation of me and my employer? How long
should I "give it a try" until I make my final decision? (My instincts are
very strong on this, but in fairness, I haven't given it a reasonable try
yet.)

I have only been a contractor for two years, with a total of two contracts.
This is a new situation for me. I honestly believe that sometimes, even
though the employee is competent and the job is job, the two just don't
make a good "fit." But I haven't had to deal with such a situation, myself,
so far.

Please advise. Offline would probably be better.

Thanks.
Kimberly

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=