Re: FWD: Resources for Do's and Don't of Contracting

Subject: Re: FWD: Resources for Do's and Don't of Contracting
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:20:11 -0400

Same way you get the lowest price when you buy something, best estimate
when you build something, etc.

Shop. Speak to multiple agencies, talk to others in the field. Read this
list. When a contractor says they are getting $35, 40, 45, or 50 per
hour or more, use it as a guideline...maybe they are. I've been
criticized in the past when I would discuss my rates, as if it was
supposed to be kept a secret or as if it was a subject that "nice people
just didn't talk about." It was EXACTLY for this reason....so those
just getting in could gather information.

Don't take the first job that comes along.

There is no concrete and specific information. Education, experience,
luck, timing, guts (how much can you ask for and who blinks first),
etc., all contribute to the rate.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and interviewing for next contract)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

resume: http://www.tdandw.com/resume.htm

My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good
poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few
reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=