Re: FWD: Resources for Do's and Don't of Contracting

Subject: Re: FWD: Resources for Do's and Don't of Contracting
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:58:06 -0700

Richard Mateosian wrote:

> >How does one get the highest rate?
>
> The right question is, "Where do I feel comfortable?"
><snip>
> As you grow in experience and ability, the whole curve moves upward,
> so ask yourself if you're comfortable doing what it takes to become
> a more valuable resource. This can mean working at a lower rate,
> struggling with a new subject matter area, getting along with
> "impossible" colleagues, or investing in training. ...RM

Back again. My current contract, in addition to paying well, is
allowing/requiring me to learn to read code in 5 different languages and
develop and manage two web sites. Sure it's stressful, but I'll come
away from it with more than just a better salary history. I've already
added two new applications to my resume, and I'll be able to up my skill
level on two programming languages and add three new ones, as well.
The thing I like about being a tech writer and a contracter is the
chance to keep learning new things. I love learning; when I stop
learning, you'll know I'm dead. However, if constantly battling a
learning curve is not comfortable for you, then you may find yourself
always working at a median salary level. The more you learn, the more
you make, in general. But, if you become a true expert at a particular
in-demand job, i.e., developing online help, that can also help you move
up the salary scale.
Find your niche and go for it.

I'll go away now (I think),

BJ