Re: QUERY: awkward paragraph(?) and formatting

Subject: Re: QUERY: awkward paragraph(?) and formatting
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- EXPERIAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:32:41 -0500

Robin,
Would something like this work:

XYZ-PRODUCT requires one of the following authorization methods in order to
operate:

* The name of a network license server
This method is explained in the Configuring a License Manager section
of this guide.

* The pathname of a file containing ABCD node-locked licenses
This method is explained in...

--B
barb -dot- ostapina -at- experian -dot- com
...speaking only for myself.

robin -at- MACSCH -dot- COM on 09/03/98 04:24:36 PM

Please respond to robin -at- MACSCH -dot- COM

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: LOMBMML Ostapina Barb/Lombard/Metromail)
Subject: QUERY: awkward paragraph(?) and formatting

CROSS POSTED TO TECHWR-L, TECHCOMM-L and COPYEDITING-L

Okay, wordstars. I'm having a bit of a problem and I'm hoping that someone
can offer a little advice. I'm working on an end-user manual for a software
product (target audience=systems administrators and other IS personnel). In
order to use the software, there has to be a licensing or authorization
system--kind of a security measure--in place. The section in the
documentation that deals with this issue begins (names changed to protect
the innocent...or guilty depending on your perspective <g>):
_____

XYZ-PRODUCT requires one of the following authorization methods in order to
operate:

* The name of a network license server
* The pathname of a file containing
ABCD node-locked licenses
* The pathname of a file containing one or more
node-locked authorization codes

This section explains these methods under the following topics
respectively:

* Configuring a License Manager
* ABCD Licensing
* Node-Locked
Authorization Codes
_____

This construction seems a bit awkward to me, but I can't figure out how to
fix it. I'm also concerned that I've clustered too many bullets in one
area, especially since I've got another bulleted list a little further down
on the page. Is there a way to simplify or reorganize this information?
It's just supposed to be a brief introduction, but I'm tearing my hair out
over it.

TIA

Robin Johnson
mailto:robin -dot- johnson -at- macsch -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=