FWD: Advice on contract vs. captive

Subject: FWD: Advice on contract vs. captive
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:05:45 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I'm considering working for a contract agency. I'd be the full-time
employee, full benefits, etc. for the agency, then they would send
me out on assignments. The agency has an excellent reputation
and is very solid (I've checked all this out and it's not the question).
I've always worked as a permanent "captive" employee and have
been pretty satisfied until recently. I've worked at my present job for
almost five years. In addition to severe (and probably ongoing)
management problems at my company, I think I'm ready to try
some variety. I want to gain new skills and experience in different
working environments.

I would like to hear from others who have had similar
situations....writers who have gone from permanent to contract.
What were the big "uh-ohs" that you discovered AFTER the fact?
What were the serendipitious pluses you discovered as a
contractor? What kinds of things should I know about working this
way? Any advice, comments, etc. would be appreciated. Most
specifically, how did you handle "bad assignments" (either long
commutes or lousy companies)? Any agency "gotchas" to watch
out for?

Thanks for any comments. I'm sure there are others on the list who
may be interested.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=