Re: Word: a professional tool? (was: Installing Winword 7 and 8)

Subject: Re: Word: a professional tool? (was: Installing Winword 7 and 8)
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:45:49 -0700

Ron Sering wrote:

> I am beginning to wonder about the number of postings on here concerning
> the idiosyncracies (meaning: bugs!) of Word. Given a choice of
> publishing platforms, is this tool even worth considering for anything
> but letters to Mom?

Ron -

Excuse me, but I think you're seeing a small bunch of trees and assuming it's a
forest. Word is still by far the most popular word processor out there. Even
with all its failings. There are those among us, including some quite seasoned
veterans, who use Word on a daily basis, and in fact produce great quantities
of manuals and other professional literature on Word.

Granted that Frame is better at doing certain things than Word. But tossing
out Word because it has problems is like completely throwing out the source
code for a compiled file simply because it has a couple of typos in it.

My current project involves a set of documents being generated on Frame, and
being ported to HTML, and there are times I'd dearly like to throttle the
techies who thought that they'd done a good job. NOT. However, I'm devious
enough and stubborn enough (and maybe even clever enough -we'll see about that)
to have found some work-arounds when Frame causes problems. And I fervently
wish we could be doing this project in Word, but I didn't get to vote on that.
I just bill by the hour.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=