Re: Bitmap to .wmf conversion

Subject: Re: Bitmap to .wmf conversion
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 07:13:51 -0600

At 12:26 PM 9/9/98 +0100, Steve Riley wrote:
>Looking for a method of converting scanned bitmaps to .wmf
>files for a document archiving project.

Ummm. Why? I've been thinking about it, and cannot
figure out where you're going with this.

To answer your question directly, just open the file in
Paint Shop Pro, save as WMF. You can probably
do this in any graphics program you like.

However, once a bitmap, always a bitmap. Saving as
a vector graphic will simply specify one vector for each
pixel in the bitmap--it won't make your shapes editable
again. Yes, you can trace and clean up and redraw, but
you're looking at a _lot_ of work for each image,
regardless of software, and you'll still not be thrilled
with the results.

You said it's for a document archiving project. As I
understand this, you'll be converting images to a
format that _less_ appropriately presents the information,
just to burn the images onto a CD and save it
somewhere. Right?

I suspect that I've missed something, or that you work
for the same company I once worked for, or that
this is a quintessentially Dilbert-esque situation.

Eric

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* Looking for new consulting projects--please query if interested.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=