MS Word and cross-platform printing

Subject: MS Word and cross-platform printing
From: Michael Hacker <mhacker -at- MAIL -dot- ARC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:53:54 -0700

I used Times New Roman (not Times) in a 150-page Word document thinking
that this font would produce identical printed results when printed using a
Mac or PC. However,the output on our HP LaserJet 4000 is identical
horizontally but not vertically. On some pages printed using a PC one or
two extra lines fit on a page. The result is that the page numbers in the
index and table of contents are correct when printed using a Mac (I used a
Mac to produce the document), but they're out of sync when printed using a
PC. Argghhh!

Eventually, we will distribute this document online so that users can
download and print it. Aside from going to PDF, does anyone have any ideas
to correct this problem?

Mike Hacker
Recom Technologies, Inc.
NASA Ames Research Center Phone: (650) 604-6833
P.O. Box 310 Fax: (650) 967-0566
Moffett Field, CA 94035 mailto:mhacker -at- mail -dot- arc -dot- nasa -dot- gov

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=