Writing for absolute beginners

Subject: Writing for absolute beginners
From: Bianca Thomas <bmt -at- ICON -dot- CO -dot- ZA>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:02:51 +0200

Hi all

I rarely post, but I do read the posts and try to offer advice where I can. I have a question that might sound a little strange, but here goes: I am not a hard-core technical writer in that I have no tech writing or computer degree and I don't do
documentation. I write Internet-related articles for several major magazines in South Africa and the States and do some private company work. So I'm not really in the league of all of you, but I'm getting there - I hope. My problem is that I have
always written for an audience with a basic computer/ Internet knowledge - not advanced, but more of average knowledge. I now have to write a series of articles on creating a web page (NOT WYSIWYG) and using HTML for an audience who has NO idea how
to do any of this. I have handed in my first column but the editor says I assume too much knowledge on the part of the readers and I must simplify more. I am finding this really hard and am wondering whether any of you have similar problems? How do
you deal with them? It is a real struggle for me.

Thanks,

Bianca Thomas
South Africa

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=