Hardware version in the manual?

Subject: Hardware version in the manual?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 07:24:45 -0600

Patricia Bergsma wondered <<Our current hardware manuals contain
information about the hardware versions (PCB versions), for which the
manual is appropriate. ... BUT, the new hardware version is not
listed in the manual. So the manual is always one (sometimes more)
step behind.>>

Personally, I find it very intimidating to receive a manual that
specifies different hardware from what I've purchased; not only do I
not know whether the manual applies to my hardware, but I don't know
what's changed and therefore what gotchas are lying in wait for me.
As you can guess, I agree with you that omitting the current model
from the hardware list is misleading, and for that reason, if you
can't update the manuals on the fly somehow, I'd recommend removing
the information.

If that's not possible, one simple solution would be to print a
separate sheet that lists the current models supported as required,
and insert it just before packaging the hardware. Another would be to
buy a batch of professional-looking mailing labels, print out the
current versions supported ("now supports versions 13-17 of the
hardware!"), and paste that onto the cover of the preprinted manuals.
Finally, depending on how frequent the new hardware is and how many
manuals you print at a time, it might be possible to do short-run
printing of the updated manual, as required.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=