Re: Indexing Help

Subject: Re: Indexing Help
From: Laurel Nelson <Laurel_Y_Nelson -at- NOTES -dot- SEAGATE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:17:48 -0500

Michelle Corbin asked:
What are other people's thoughts about nouns versus verbs and which
deserves more of the "primary" focus?

Like you, Michelle, I focus on the nouns rather than the verbs. Putting in
verb synonyms is time consuming and they make the index too long.

Also for online Help, I use a couple of other techniques that MicroSoft
uses, which make the online index easier to read and shorter--nothing is
capitalized except for company names, product names, and acronyms, and all
verbs are presented in the plural form, which eliminates the need for

For example, Gina's topic (Associating a Model With a Category) would have
the following index entries:

associating models with categories
categories, associating models with
models, associating with categories

All of these entries would be available under the screen name and also by
themselves within the index.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=