Re: Teaching without seeming to teach!

Subject: Re: Teaching without seeming to teach!
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:02:21 -0700

George F. Hayhoe wrote:

> But I think this is a good start. Is there a conceptual
> equivalent to the procedural wizard?

At my last staff position, we put together a couple of "conceptual
wizards."

One was a series of help topics, with Back and Next buttons, that used
an abstract representation of the object you developed using the
software. Each topic in the sequence described a single part of the
structure, "layering" the complexity from the bottom up. It would have
taken many pages of text to replace what boiled down to fewer than ten
help topics with images.

You can see an example in the "Graphics in WinHelp" download available
at http://www.brown-inc.com/rel-info/index.htm.

The other project, much more sophisticated, was a tutorial that used a
series of short, staged animations to describe concepts and procedures.

Both were well received by customers and won STC awards of excellence.

--David

David M. Brown -- Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
http://www.brown-inc.com/
See our web site for news about HTML Indexer, the easiest way to
create and maintain indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=