Embedding fonts in .PDF files

Subject: Embedding fonts in .PDF files
From: "Fisher, Susie" <susiel -at- CRT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:48:11 -0500

Does anyone know how to embed fonts in a PDF?

I was wondering if anyone could explain the process involved in creating
.PDF files with embedded fonts? I'm trying to create PDF documents that
contain specific fonts (Futura/CenturySchoolbook) and distribute to a
large number of users who do not have these fonts.

Using the PDFWriter, I can easily create PDFs but the fonts are not
getting embedded properly. The result is a very garbled looking font
that is supposed to be Futura. I have scoured the Adobe web site and it
acknowledges that this as a known problem, but it so far I can't find
any info on what I should be doing. I've also read that you can address
this issue with Font subsetting in the Adobe Distiller. However, this is
a problem as well - I'm not even sure how to create the .PS file that
Distiller requires. Whenever I print to file, I end up with a .PRN
instead of a .PS. I've tried changing the extension on the .PRN to .PS
but to no avail.

I am very frustrated that Adobe doesn't provide big picture information
somewhere in their online help or web site, such as how all the Adobe
applications fit together and basic things like how to create a .PS
file. I have mastered adding screen shots to PDFs, so I'm hoping this
won't be much more difficult! It seems that there must be many
corporations that want to include their "house" fonts in distributed
documents. A lot of people must be doing this successfully - what am I
not getting?

Any advice is hugely appreciated. Please respond off-list to my email
address below.
Sincerely,

Erika Wolf
erikaw -at- crt -dot- com