Re: Interview questions for techwriters

Subject: Re: Interview questions for techwriters
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:36:19 -0400

Barry Kieffer replied to a message:
>These behavior-based questions do a few quick and dirty things:
>When asked a question, always an open-ended question, there is >involuntary
eye movement that is truly involuntary; that is, even >people born blind
exhibit this involuntary eye movement.

>When people are "remembering" a Scenario in the past they will briefly
>look up and to the right. When people are "creating" a scenario they look
down and to the left or right.

This is only partially accurate as a diagnostic for truth-telling, and comes
out of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). There is a percentage of the
population that reacts differently and sometimes oppositely. Like any
"technique", it's open to misuse by untrained practitioners.

I sure don't want to be hired/evaluated by someone who has to rely on
"gimmicks" (although I'm not condemning NLP, I've seen it work wonders).
Previously on the list someone mentioned a employer who evaluated based on
whether someone salted their food or not. Sheesh!

As technical communicators, we'll find the best work situations among people
who are as good at their jobs, including hiring, as we are at ours.

--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=